The local municipality of Umhlabuyalingana is geographically located in the North Eastern confine of KwaZulu-Natal and is one of the six local municipalities that constitute the District of Umkhanyakude.
uMhlabuyalingana Local Municipality is one of the five municipalities in the jurisdiction of uMkhanyakude District Municipality, situated in the northeastern part of Kwazulu-Natal Province in South Africa
The local municipality of Umhlabuyalingana is geographically located in the North Eastern confine of KwaZulu-Natal and is one of the six local municipalities that constitute the District of Umkhanyakude. The Municipality spreads for approximately 3621 km 2 in land magnitude has a rural classification of 99%, hence the referral to rural Municipality.
In terms of land tenure, estimated at 60 % of the municipal area falls under Ingonyama Trust ownership with four tribal councils who are the custodians of the land, with the remaining 40% co nsisting of commercial farms and conservation areas. Its population, according to published SA Stats figures is approximately 163 694 people, an average household size of 6 people per household of which 99%+ are black Africans and the other races make up a percentage of less than 1%, [source: Stats SA, Census 2001 2007 Community survey].
Organizational Strategic Objectives
- To improve quality of life and create a pleasant living and working environment.
- To create an environment that promotes investment and economic growth.
- To involve local communities and stakeholders in municipal affairs in a structured manner.
- To develop Umhlabuyalingana Local Municipality as a viable and sustainable local government.
- To deliver services efficiently and effectively.